Sentiers du Patrimoine ®
Le Perchay

Poursuivre jusqu’au lavoir de la fontaine aux Reliques.
Prochain point : Lat. 49.11336, Long. 1.9427
Richard du Perchay is the earliest known lord of the village. In the mid-12th century, he donated land to the Priory of Le Cornouiller, located in the Vallée des Moines (Monks' Valley). According to an early 16th-century document, the site of the present-day farm was once occupied by defensive walls and a motte-and-bailey castle—a typical medieval fortification built on an earthen mound. It is thought to have been destroyed during the Hundred Years' War (1337–1453).
Through a series of marriage alliances, the lordship passed to the de Guiry family at the end of the 14th century. They remained Lords of Le Perchay and Vallières until the early 18th century, dividing their time between their manor house at Guiry and the so-called "château" at Le Perchay, which was in fact a seigneurial residence attached to a substantial working farm.
As early as 1510, the estate already included a farmyard, dwellings, barns, stables and a dovecote. A private doorway connected the manor house directly to the church, allowing the lords to attend Mass without passing through the village.
From the 17th century onwards, the estate's owners rarely lived at Le Perchay, instead leasing the property to tenant farmers. During the 19th century, the manor house—still visible from outside the courtyard—was extensively remodelled in the style of an elegant bourgeois residence, with finely cut stone window surrounds, rendered façades and decorative architectural details.
In 1906, the Lelong family, who had previously rented the estate, purchased the farm. Under their ownership it flourished, becoming the village's largest employer, with both farm labourers and domestic servants working on the estate. Mr Lelong also served as Mayor of Le Perchay from 1896 to 1945 and donated a stained-glass window to the church in memory of his two sons.
Agricultural activity came to an end at the beginning of the 21st century. In 2008, the farm buildings were carefully converted into a venue for seminars, weddings and other events, giving new life to one of the village's most important historic sites.

